“Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together” Thomas Dekker – quote on the importance of sleep.
Sleep is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. During sleep your body restores and rejuvenates, releasing growth hormones, which fix damaged tissues. Sleep reduces the amount of stress hormones in your body and adjusts the hormones that control appetite, along with boosting your immune system. Often sleep disorders in themselves increase anxiety, as an individual can start to fear going to bed and not getting enough sleep.
- Difficulty getting to sleep
- Waking up through the night
- Waking up too early
- Difficulty waking up
- Sleeping for long periods of time and still feeling tired
Poor sleep can cause the following problems:
- Sleep anxiety
- Poor memory
- Increased irritability
- Reduced motivation
- Reduced concentration and productivity
- Exacerbated other issues like anxiety or depression
- Reduced immune system function
- Increased weight gain